If you are looking for a fun and exciting sport that combines elements of hockey, soccer, and curling, then you might want to try out broomball. Broomball is a team sport that is played on ice, where players use sticks called “brooms” to hit a ball into the opposing team’s net. Broomball is similar to hockey, but with some key differences: there is no skating involved, the ball is larger and softer than a hockey puck, and the players wear special shoes instead of skates.
Broomball shoes are one of the most important pieces of equipment for playing broomball. They are designed to provide traction and stability on ice, as well as comfort and protection for your feet. Broomball shoes are not like regular shoes; they have unique features and characteristics that make them suitable for playing on ice. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on broomball shoes: what they are, how to choose them, and how to take care of them.
What are Broomball Shoes?
Broomball shoes are specially designed footwear that are worn by players who play broomball on ice. They have a thick rubber sole with small protrusions or “fingers” that grip the ice surface. These fingers create friction and prevent slipping and sliding on ice. Broomball shoes also have a sturdy upper that covers the toes, ankles, and heels. The upper is usually made of leather or synthetic material that is water-resistant and durable. Broomball shoes also have a padded tongue, collar, and insole that provide cushioning and comfort for your feet.
There are different types of broomball shoes available in the market, depending on your preference and playing style. Some of the common types are:
Indoor vs Outdoor Broomball Shoes
Indoor broomball shoes are designed for playing on indoor ice rinks that are smooth and well-maintained. They have softer rubber soles that conform to the ice surface better. They also have smaller fingers that provide more traction and control. Indoor broomball shoes are lighter and more flexible than outdoor ones.
Outdoor broomball shoes are designed for playing on outdoor ice surfaces that are rougher and less consistent. They have harder rubber soles that can withstand the wear and tear of outdoor ice. They also have larger fingers that provide more stability and support. Outdoor broomball shoes are heavier and more rigid than indoor ones.
Rubber vs Foam Broomball Shoes
Rubber broomball shoes are the traditional and most common type of broomball shoes. They have rubber soles that are durable and long-lasting. They also have rubber fingers that are firm and stable. Rubber broomball shoes are suitable for players who prefer a solid and reliable grip on ice.
Foam broomball shoes are a newer and more innovative type of broomball shoes. They have foam soles that are lighter and more flexible than rubber ones. They also have foam fingers that are softer and more responsive. Foam broomball shoes are suitable for players who prefer a more dynamic and agile grip on ice.
The Best Broomball Shoes Brands and Models
There are many brands and models of broomball shoes available on the market. However, some of them stand out from the rest in terms of quality, popularity, and customer satisfaction. Here are some of the best broomball shoes brands and models that you can consider:
- Acacia: Acacia is one of the leading brands of broomball shoes. They offer a wide range of models for different levels of play and preferences. Some of their best-selling models include the Grip-inator, the Spider-Gel, the Bullet, the Shark, and the Yeti. These models feature innovative technologies such as gel padding, carbon fiber reinforcement, anti-shock heel system, memory foam lining, and dual thermal insulation.
- Hagan: Hagan is another reputable brand of broomball shoes. They have been producing high-quality shoes for over 30 years. Some of their most popular models include the H-5 Pro, the H-7 Pro, the H-5.1 Super Pro, and the H-7 USA Edition. These models have excellent features such as rubber nub soles, leather uppers, EVA midsoles, mesh tongues, padded collars, and Velcro straps.
- Knapper: Knapper is a relatively new brand of broomball shoes that has gained a lot of attention and praise from players. They have two main models: the BK6 and the Gripper. These models have unique features such as hexagonal nub soles, synthetic leather uppers, EVA foam insoles, nylon mesh linings, and lace-up closures. They also have bold and vibrant designs that stand out on the ice .
These are some of the best broomball shoe brands and models that you can find online or at specialized stores. They can help you improve your game and enjoy the sport more. However, you should always try on different sizes and models before buying them to find the best fit and comfort for your feet. You should also take good care of your broomball shoes by cleaning them regularly, drying them properly, storing them properly, and avoiding some common mistakes. By doing so, you can extend their lifespan and performance on the ice.
How to Choose Broomball Shoes?
Choosing the right pair of broomball shoes is crucial for playing broomball well and safely. There are several factors to consider when buying broomball shoes, such as:
The fit of your broomball shoes should be snug but comfortable. You don’t want your shoes to be too tight or too loose, as this can cause blisters, injuries, or poor performance. You should be able to wiggle your toes slightly, but not slide your feet around inside your shoes. You should also make sure that your shoes fit well with your socks, as different types of socks can affect the fit of your shoes.
The size of your broomball shoes should be based on your regular shoe size, but with some adjustments depending on the type and brand of your shoes. Generally, you should go up half a size or a full size from your regular shoe size when buying broomball shoes, as they tend to run small. However, some brands or models may have different sizing charts, so you should always check the manufacturer’s recommendations before buying.
The style of your broomball shoes should match your preference and playing style. You should choose a type of broomball shoe that suits your level of skill, experience, and intensity of play. For example, if you play on indoor ice rinks frequently, you should opt for indoor broomball shoes that have softer soles and smaller fingers. If you play on outdoor ice surfaces occasionally, you should opt for outdoor broomball shoes that have harder soles and larger fingers. If you play on both types of ice surfaces regularly, you should opt for hybrid broomball shoes that have a combination of features from both indoor vs outdoor soccer cleats.
You should also choose a model of broomball shoe that meets your budget and expectations. For example, if you are a beginner or casual player who plays for fun and fitness, you should opt for a basic or entry-level model that is affordable and durable. If you are an intermediate or advanced player who plays for competition and performance, you should opt for a premium or professional model that is expensive and high-quality.
The comfort of your broomball shoes is essential for enjoying and excelling at playing broomball. You should look for features that enhance the comfort of your feet, such as:
- Padding: Your broomball shoes should have sufficient padding on the tongue, collar, and curling shoes soles to provide cushioning and support for your feet.
- Breathability: Your broomball shoes should have adequate ventilation on the upper to allow air circulation and prevent overheating and sweating.
- Flexibility: Your broomball shoes should have enough flexibility on the sole to allow natural movement and bending of your feet.
- Protection: Your broomball shoes should have enough protection on the toe, heel, and ankle to prevent injuries from impact or collision.
The durability of your broomball shoes is important for ensuring the longevity and value of your investment. You want your shoes to last long and perform well on the ice. You should look for features that enhance the durability of your shoes, such as:
- Material: Your broomball shoes should be made of high-quality material that is water-resistant, abrasion-resistant, and tear-resistant. The material should be able to withstand the wear and tear of playing on ice.
- Stitching: Your broomball shoes should have strong stitching that is secure and neat. The stitching should not come loose or unravel easily.
- Sole: Your broomball shoes should have a thick sole that is resistant to cracking or splitting. The sole should also have enough fingers that are not worn out or broken off.
- Upper: Your broomball shoes should have a sturdy upper that is not ripped or punctured. The upper should also have enough padding that is not flattened or compressed.
To find the best durability for your broomball shoes, you should inspect them carefully before buying them. You should also take good care of them after using them. You should clean them regularly with a damp cloth or a soft brush. You should also store them in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
The performance of your broomball shoes is crucial for playing broomball well and safely. You want your shoes to provide traction, stability, and speed on the ice. You should look for features that enhance the performance of your shoes, such as:
- Grip: Your broomball shoes should have a good grip on the ice surface that allows you to run, stop, and turn without slipping or sliding. The grip depends on the type, size, shape, and number of fingers on the sole of your shoes.
- Balance: Your broomball shoes should have a good balance that allows you to maintain your posture and stability on the ice. The balance depends on the weight, width, height, and distribution of your shoes.
- Speed: Your broomball shoes should have a good speed that allows you to move fast and agile on the ice. The speed depends on the lightness, flexibility, and responsiveness of your shoes.
To find the best performance for your broomball shoes, you should test them on the ice with the broom and the ball that you will use when playing broomball. You should also compare them with other shoes that you have tried or seen on other players. You should also check the reviews and ratings of the shoes online to see what other users say about their performance.
How to Use Your Broomball Shoes?
Using your broomball shoes can be fun and effective if you follow these tips:
- Tip 1: Break in your broomball shoes gradually and gently before playing on ice. This will help you avoid blisters, injuries, and discomfort. To break in your broomball shoes, you should wear them for a few hours at a time with thick socks, preferably indoors or on dry surfaces. You should also avoid wet or rough surfaces that can damage the soles or uppers of your shoes. After wearing them for a while, you can try them on ice for short sessions of light activity, such as jogging, skating, or passing the ball. Once you feel comfortable and confident with your broomball shoes, you can play a full game of broomball.
- Tip 2: Wear appropriate socks and protective gear with your broomball shoes. This will help you keep your feet warm, dry, and cushioned. You should choose socks that are thick, moisture-wicking, and padded to prevent friction and sweat. You should also choose protective gear that is suitable for broomball, such as helmets, gloves, pads, shin guards, etc. to protect your head, hands, elbows, knees, and shins from impact and injury.
- Tip 3: Practice regularly and improve your skills with your broomball shoes. This will help you enhance your performance, strategy, and enjoyment. You should learn how to run, stop, turn, shoot, pass, and defend with your broomball shoes on ice. You should practice with your teammates and opponents to develop your teamwork and communication. You should also play with different rules and formats to challenge yourself and have fun.
How to Care for Your Broomball Shoes?
Caring for your broomball shoes can extend their lifespan and performance. Here are some tips on how to clean, dry, store, repair, and replace your broomball shoes.
- To clean your broomball shoes, you will need a soft cloth or brush, mild soap or detergent, warm water, and paper towels or newspaper. Remove any dirt or debris from the soles and uppers with the cloth or brush. Mix some soap or detergent with warm water and dip the cloth or brush in the solution. Gently scrub the soles and uppers with a cloth or brush until they are clean. Rinse the cloth or brush and wipe off any excess soap or detergent from the shoes. Stuff some paper towels or newspaper inside the shoes to absorb moisture and help them keep their shape.
- To dry your broomball shoes, you will need a dry and ventilated place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Do not use a hair dryer, heater, or dryer to dry your shoes, as this can damage the rubber and synthetic materials. Let your shoes air dry naturally for at least 24 hours before wearing them again.
- To store your broomball shoes, you will need a cool and dry place away from moisture and dust. Do not store your shoes in plastic bags, as this can trap moisture and cause mold and odor. Use shoe bags, boxes, or racks to store your shoes and keep them organized. You can also use shoe trees, inserts, or deodorizers to maintain the shape and freshness of your shoes.
- To repair or replace your broomball shoe, you will need some tools and materials depending on the type and extent of damage. For minor damage, such as small tears, holes, or cracks, you can use glue, tape, patches, or stitching to fix them. For major damage, such as worn out soles, broken cleats, or detached uppers, you may need to replace them with new parts or buy new shoes altogether.
Broomball shoes are an essential piece of equipment for anyone who wants to enjoy the fun and competitive sport of broomball. They offer a safe and comfortable way to play on the ice without skates and can improve the performance and skills of the players. Broomball shoes are available in various options to suit different preferences and budgets, and can be easily purchased online or at specialized stores. Broomball shoes are not only functional, but also fashionable, as they can be customized with logos, names, or colors. Broomball shoes are the ultimate footwear for broomball enthusiasts of all ages and levels.
Here are some frequently asked questions about broomball shoes:
- How much do broomball shoes cost?
- The price of broomball shoes depends on the brand, quality, and features of the shoes. Generally, broomball shoes range from $40 to $120, depending on where you buy them. You can find cheaper or more expensive options online or at specialized stores.
- How long do broomball shoes last?
- The lifespan of broomball shoes depends on how often and how well you use and care for them. Generally, broomball shoes can last for several seasons if you clean them regularly, dry them properly, store them properly, and avoid some common mistakes. However, if you notice any signs of wear and tear, such as holes, cracks, tears, or loss of grip, you should replace your broomball shoes as soon as possible.
- Can you wear broomball shoes off the ice?
- No, you should not wear broomball shoes off the ice, as they are not designed for other surfaces. Wearing broomball shoes off the ice can damage the sole of the shoes, reduce their grip on the ice, and increase their risk of contamination. You should only wear broomball shoes on the ice, and change into regular shoes before and after playing.
- What are the best socks to wear with broomball shoes?
- The best socks to wear with broomball shoes are socks that are warm, dry, comfortable, and breathable. You should look for socks that are made of wool, cotton, or synthetic materials that can wick away moisture and keep your feet cozy. You should also look for socks that fit well and do not bunch up or slide down inside your shoes. You should avoid socks that are too thick or too thin, as they may cause blisters or chafing.
- How can you improve your traction on the ice with broomball shoes?
- There are some ways to improve your traction on the ice with broomball shoes. One way is to scuff up the sole of your shoes with sandpaper or a wire brush before playing. This can create more friction and grip on the ice. Another way is to spray some hairspray or adhesive spray on the sole of your shoes before playing. This can create more stickiness and grip on the ice. However, you should be careful not to overdo it, as it may damage your shoes or leave residue on the ice.